Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-22-2023, 12:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know, democrats could concede and nominate (googling) PA's Brian Fitzpatrick, a republican from a swing district in a swing state and then republicans would all see the R by his name and they'd make it a landslide.

Fitzpatrick opposed Jim Jordan (eventually), I'm sure Matt Gaetz hates his guts, and he has an R by his name so the nearly 200 people who just got done voting for Jim Jordan should just turn their votes over to him, or all 212 democrats should vote for him at which point I can only assume republicans would vote for someone else for fear of the truth that they voted in lock step with democrats on something would endanger their careers or lives.

Or democrats could keep voting for Jefferies and hope that the butthurt factions of the GOP house is so spiteful and into their victim fetish that they vote present or decide to pout in their offices and "Look what you made me do" their way into a democrat at the helm.

This whole thing is just weird.

GOP - we are in the majority, it's up to us to elect a speaker.
DEMs - ok, elect a speaker.
GOP - we can't we don't have enough votes
DEMs - so vote for our guy
GOP - no, the majority party gets to pick the speaker
DEMs - ok, so pick a speaker
GOP - no, the majority party gets to pick the speaker
GOP - no, the majority party gets to pick the speaker

Yes, the GOP has the majority, as long as the people within tow the line and do what the rest of the party wants.  When you have a bunch of people who have that R but are really there to use politics as a springboard to fame and social media clout, your majority is a red mirage, or something to that nature.

I am not talking about Democrats voting FOR a Republican or helping to get a new Speaker chosen.

I am talking about how Democrats voting to remove the Speaker in the first place, to create the need for a new Speaker, means it's not 100% a situation of the Republicans making with the Democrats having absolutely zero responsibility for.

If 2% of the population wants something to happen, and then 49% of the population votes with that 2% to allow that thing to happen, both the 2% and the 49% of the population is responsible for that thing happening. You can't vote for something to happen and then wash your hands and pretend you had zero participation in the results.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-20-2023, 01:10 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-20-2023, 01:42 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - TheLeonardLeap - 10-22-2023, 01:36 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-25-2023, 06:18 PM