Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-24-2023, 12:37 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Oh, I absolutely think you could get people fighting for a totalitarian side if they believe the alternative is worse.  But what happens when said conflict is over?  Since we're essentially talking about one, revolutions are notoriously difficult to control and often end up far from their original goal.  I sincerely hope we never find out the answer, but I strongly believe the deep current and history of personal freedom inherent in this country would prevent a permanent totalitarian system from forming.  We aren't the Germans of the 20's, and 30's nor are we the Russians of any time ever.  Both of those populations had/have zero history or experience with the type of freedom we see as our birthright.

I don't think many people in this country understand or even care about freedom outside of their own freedom to do what they want.  The word freedom, like patriotism, or Christian, and so on and so forth has been marketed to the point of perversion from it's actual meaning.  

Everyone loves "freedom" and will fight for "freedom" insofar as they believe that freedom means what they want is free and what they don't want isn't free because it's bad and we all love freedom, but we all have certain freedoms we want to see restricted or revoked because they are bad.  Ergo, we can all still love freedom.

Again, I just think we are easily led into fighting against freedom because we are led to believe it's the right thing to do.  We have a level of "Yes I love freedom of course, but...."

Do I love freedom?  I guess.  Can I list the number of freedoms I don't agree with that I'd take a bullet to the skull to protect?  That's less of a fun conversation and one you don't hear so often.  So I get what you are saying, but I also think people in this country are personally free and individualized to the point where we'd see very few people saying it is right to die for a freedom they don't support or the freedom of someone else to do something they don't do or don't support.

God help me for sounding like an old curmudgeon, but I think we've taken freedom and democracy for granted to the point where we won't know what we have until it's gone and even then a lot of people would convince themselves they fought for the right side, regardless. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-20-2023, 01:10 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-20-2023, 01:42 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - Nately120 - 10-24-2023, 12:48 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-25-2023, 06:18 PM