Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-26-2023, 01:04 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Gas started spiking almost immediately after Biden stopped Trump energy policies and started waging a war on fossil fuels. See below, I don't see the clean energy countries listed that are in the top 5 of our oil imports.

If you could point to the policies you're referring to, that would be helpful. It's been pretty well established that oil & gas prices began spiking due to an incredibly well recovered demand and lagging supply due to production cuts during COVID. Then, to exacerbate that issue, Russia invaded Ukraine, which has effectively cut off one of the worlds major suppliers of oil from the international market. I am not here to say Biden is a friend of O&G. However, I am also not here to say that short term price complications are also his doing. The U.S. oil market is very healthy right now. 

Quote:The resulting total net petroleum imports (imports minus exports) were about -1.19 million b/d, which means that the United States was a net petroleum exporter of 1.19 million b/d in 2022. The top five source countries of U.S. gross petroleum imports in 2022 were Canada, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Colombia.

Are you saying the oil we import is cleaner or as clean as the oil we produce?

I am not sure what you are trying to say. The oil quality from other countries is going to vary. For instance, you may find a lot of tar sands in Canada and sour crude in Colombia. These oils aren't inherently worse, they just have different purposes. Not all oil is used for energy, but all oil is refined down to be used for whatever purpose it has. Sour crude, for instance, will be refined into diesel and other heavier products to cut down on refining costs. Tar sands crude is used to make asphalt, jet fuel, gasoline and other products. Oil quality is different all across the globe which is we have different oil classifications, and these classifications are all used in different manners. We import tar sands from Canada because they have the largest reserves of tar sands in the world. We don't know, but we need that oil. This is partially why the classification of "energy independent" misleading and doesn't actually exist in the industry. There are multiple types oil and the U.S. doesn't have enough of all of them, hence why we export, but these other countries don't have "dirtier" oil. 

Quote:I never meant to say we were ever energy independent, we were not but got a lot closer under Trump. Then Biden cancelled pipeline and brought back the restrictions on oil and gas production. His attack on fossils fuels to get closer to the end of gasoline and diesel powered vehicles have hurt the price of gasoline and heating oil/gas.

See above. Energy independence isn't actually a thing. Again, Biden isn't a friend to O&G but the industry certainly isn't hurting now. The industry is doing very well. There's a lot of consolidation going on, companies buying each other. The company I work for was just purchased by another larger company. 

Quote:Biden also dipped into our oil reserves in 2022 to get gas prices down to help Democrats win seats in 2022 election. He has yet to replace the oil reserves and now we may be on the verge of a war. Russia and others are controlling the price of oil, some say it could spike to $100 a barrel up from a high of $90 a barrel. Trump's plan was to be energy independent, if Trump would have continued with his plan, it is likely we would be energy independent by now. Instead, we are likely not at the peak of the Biden gas prices.

Dipping into the reserves was stupid as I don't really believe it did anything tangible for gas prices. It was a political move and not one I am/was a fan of. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-03-2023, 12:35 PM
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - pally - 10-20-2023, 01:10 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-20-2023, 01:42 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - CJD - 10-25-2023, 06:18 PM
RE: House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama - KillerGoose - 10-26-2023, 01:30 PM