Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Is it OK for NYT, CNN and squad members to report misinformation
(10-26-2023, 01:03 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is a false dichotomy. As with just about everything in this world there is far more nuance than just two sides to it.

Also, I would argue that the thin veneer is the religious component. Religion is often used as an excuse for things that really just boil down to people being pieces of shit.

I tend to agree with you on nuance.  

I would say, though, that the Israeli-Palestinian conflict tends to get simpler if one agrees that Palestinians have the same human rights as every other people.
That makes it more difficult to represent Israeli as simply "responding" to attacks, which is a consequence of reporting about the conflict mostly only when Israel is attacked. As it is, Americans don't seem especially curious about why "terrorists" in occupied territories would attack their occupiers.

As far as religion goes--Palestine was one of the places where Jews and Muslims and Christians got along pretty well until Zionists began displacing Muslims, buying land with the goal of "transferring" Arabs out of Eretz Israel. 

When people of one religion were peacefully disposed towards their neighbors of another religion, until newly arrived adherents of that religion began driving them off their land, then yes--it is very odd to simply ascribe subsequent conflict to a religious difference which had always been there. Doing so frames out the real drivers of conflict, and so any real possibility of understanding and resolving the conflict. That's in your favor if you don't want it resolved.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it OK for NYT, CNN and squad members to report misinformation - Dill - 10-26-2023, 08:54 PM