Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is the moment when AJ McCarron becomes a star
(12-29-2015, 04:15 AM)BigSeph Wrote: Well do you give any credit to the defense for wins, like when they pick off Peyton Manning 4x and return the last one for a TD to seal the game?

Does the QB get dinged for a win where he passes for 150 yards and throws a pick-6 to start the game?

Let me know how to proceed around here.  :)

I thought AJ went where he needed to with the ball, I don't think the reads were an issue.  But it's obvious that he's been thrown into the proverbial fire and is having to learn quickly on the job.  The first sign of a QB adjusting to NFL play is the playclock.  Far too many plays where the clock was at 0 or 1 when the ball was snapped, something was taking too long to get everyone lined up and ready.  Never noticed consistent 0 or 1s with Dalton at QB.

Our opinions diverge when you label him a quality backup, I think he can be a very good NFL QB.  There's a lot to be optimistic about, and he certainly isn't putting up Schaub performances where he throws pick-6s and loses the game for the team.  The things he's lacking right now are things which come with playing time (and clipboard time).  It's grasp of the offense, command of the huddle, and ownership of the offense.  He can make all the throws.  He makes all the reads.  He protects the ball.  He has a lot going for him, most QBs don't come out of the gate looking like All-Pros.  The first few games for all the great ones looked very similar to McCarron's.  Very few QBs come in and light it up off the bat.  Cam Newton is the last guy I can remember who did it.  It took Bortles a year and a half to get comfortable and look what he's doing.

So we can disagree on our estimations for McCarron's future.  That's fine.

I want both AJ and Andy to succeed, I've never wished anything negative on Andy and unless McCarron rapidly improves or Hue adjusts to take the training wheels off, this team's best chance to win this year comes with a healthy Andy Dalton under center.

I couldn't figure out why the issues with the play clock. It seemed like mass confusion coming out of the huddle. Then the throw to Gio on a third down after he was clearly trying to get off the field due to fatigue or injury. Hue did no favors in this game with his shitty slow play calling. My best guess was that having Hewitt leave the game early really messed up his game plan and he never fully recovered. Plays were very late getting in and substitutions were embarrassing to say the least.

Not to mention when you play good teams in prime time you have to score every chance and having an inconsistent kicker like Nugent really hurts.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: This is the moment when AJ McCarron becomes a star - Stonyhands - 12-29-2015, 06:21 AM