Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why are Stock Options Legal?
(10-28-2023, 08:28 AM)basballguy Wrote: What? No

Can you provide a bit more context as to what you’re referring to?

Options are definitely riskier but it’s not like people are investing their 401k in them. As far as I know most plans prevent that.

Options are commonly used as part of the compensation plans for companies…especially in startups. (ATT does it as well).

People that own stocks sell options on their stock all the time.

Now if this is wallstreetbets 0DTE gambling complaint, I got nothing for you. People that do that are stupid.

You’re right I should have been more clear. I wasn’t talking about the employee benefit kind of stock options.

I was talking about the puts and calls. Where it seems to me big money has a clear advantage. And they can make money whether the stock price is going up or down.

We have some massive too big to fail banks, hedge funds, and a really loaded top 1% who control a lot of money. I’m not sure what if any protections are in place to prevent them from manipulating a stock price and really cleaning up with options.

I don’t know why it has to be a thing. I’m pretty sure the large majority in this country (who aren’t boomers with pensions) will be dependent on the stock market for retirement. Puts and calls just seem like a way to rig the game against the average Joe. I have a hard time understanding why something that seems so unfairly advantageous to the super wealthy plays such a large part in our main means of retirement savings.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why are Stock Options Legal? - NATI BENGALS - 10-31-2023, 04:46 AM
RE: Why are Stock Options Legal? - pally - 10-31-2023, 07:24 AM