Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on why Chase in the backfield never works but Deebo in the backfield does?
(10-31-2023, 11:20 AM)Housh Wrote: The main criticism of these looks is that we always give it Chase. Which is valid. We do appear to give the ball to Chase alot in these split backfield looks.

I agree with this and i agreed before that horrendous play VS the 49ers. It seems as if we’re doing it not to throw the D off but instead to get Chase a touch.

When Chase is in the backfield everyone knows we aren’t running him up the middle. So if you are gonna put Chase in the backfield i suggest doing it from the pistol where Chase lines up right behind Joe. At least at that point teams have to be ready to defend left and right both inside and outside. If you go a formation where Chase is to the left or right then everyone knows which way he’s likely to run.

It may be interesting to discuss why when we do it, it barely works but when the 49ers put Deebo back there, it’s usually a good play.

Is Deebo just a better runner?

Does Shanahan just call these plays in better spots?

Is the 49ers o line just better?

Do teams fear CMC so much they guard these formations differently than they guard our Chase in the backfield formations?

What you guys think?

I personally think there’s no reason to add these looks to the offense unless you are going to run a RB screen out of them 90% of the time. If we run Mixon and Chase in the backfield and motion Jamarr away from the direction the screen is going, i don’t see that ever being a bad play unless a defender gets lucky and reads it. So i like the formation but not if we’re actually giving it to Chase.

Deebo is a better runner and harder to tackle. He's more like a big running back than Chase is, about 15lbs heavier. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thoughts on why Chase in the backfield never works but Deebo in the backfield does? - rfaulk34 - 10-31-2023, 12:28 PM