Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Trenton Irwin is Such an Amazing Person!
(11-01-2023, 08:41 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Crappie*, not Croppy. Hate the misnomers that have been parrotted around for fish for decades (not your fault, Nate lol: it's a problem here in Canada too), but Crappie are related to the fish in the pic.

And the fish in the pic is a Pumpkinseed (the most-commonly found Sunfish in NA).

Almost every single body of water that is part of a river watershed here in Ontario (so only pool-like lakes, that have no inflow/outflow, like what you guys have in the Mountain states, are not part of rivers), has Pumpkinseed in it. If your hook is small-enough, it is easily the easiest fish to catch in North America lol.

EDIT* actually, on a second look, that looks like a Bluegill (notice the blue spot around the gills)... which is the second most-common Sunfish lol. These are everywhere from Lake Simcoe and east, in Ontario and there are a few lakes around the Muskokas (where I normally fish) that hold them.

They grow just a bit bigger on average than Pumpkinseed, though they fight MUCH harder (but since they are still small, they don't put up much of a fight lol).

Yes I believe that's a Bluegill. They're as you say literally in just about every body of water around here. I've seen them in creeks you can jump across. The smallest of ponds, even mudholes made by tractors or whatever that stay full of water. You can catch them with just a shiny hook, no bait lol. 

They call them Bream farther south. And they're closely related to the Sunfish species I believe? Very similar in shape/size just a little different coloration and no blue dot by gills.

Anyways, great job Trenton. A real nice guy.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trenton Irwin is Such an Amazing Person! - bengalfan74 - 11-01-2023, 09:44 AM