Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
NYC Mayor Eric Adams under corruption investigation, again
(11-03-2023, 06:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm fine with recreational drugs being legalized and taxed, I just also feel like if we choose that route we should stop resuscitating overdose victims at taxpayer's expense.  The freedom to enjoy should also come with the freedom to experience the consequences of abuse.

You aren't the first person I've heard complain about this.  I have to admit it's a morbidly fascinating thing to think about.  If you aren't wearing your seatbelt and/or if you are going over the speed limit and you crash your car should you just lie in a ditch and think about how much you deserved it?  Should the nearly 75% of Americans who are overweight be allowed to have heart attacks while everyone says "Well, was that Big Mac worth it?"

Our society fascinates me in the sense that we love to act like risk taking is admirable and if you don't take risks you aren't really living...but we also enjoy seeing other people suffer the consequences of their actions.  Drug users are easy to just toss in this "don't bother saving them, they deserve it" pile, but when you think about it a lot of people do a lot of things that they may not "deserve" to be saved from.

There is something shamefully satisfying about watching someone reap what they sow.  With that being said, it's also a little odd to admit we'd want to see more of it, but again you aren't the first person who has proposed we stop saving at least specific people from dying preventable deaths.

I'll admit when I lived in a slum of Pittsburgh I'd be trying to sleep while hearing motorcycles go speeding down the street and night and any time one of them woke me up I'd think "please crash...please crash."
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: NYC Mayor Eric Adams under corruption investigation, again - Nately120 - 11-03-2023, 07:32 PM