Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTF is happening on 4th downs?
(11-06-2023, 10:57 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Anyone else find the inconsistency on 4th downs maddening lol?

4th and 2 on the Buf 48 when the offense can't be stopped (and Joe is out there begging to go for it) - PUNT
4th and 5 on the Buf 37 - TURNOVER ON DOWNS
4th and goal on the 2 up 17-10 - FIELD GOAL (I dont know how this even really helps you)

I just don't see any logic or consistency behind these decisions? I feel like it's been this way most of the year.

ZT has been UBER conservative this year on 4th downs, but how do you punt in the first quater on 4th and 2 when your offense is humming, and then go for it on 4th and 5 when your offense is struggling? Also, you go for it on 4th and 5 on the 37 but kick the FG on 4th and goal from the 2?

Just seems like we are shaking the magic 8 ball sometimes - just follow the analytics sheet, man.

Well I do think Zacs biggest flaw has been situational football. Reading the in game situations and short yardage situations. I don't necessarily have a problem with the above plays. I wanted to go on the 1st 4th down but the defense got a turnover and really did a good job stopping them when they started backed up. The 4th and goal I hate not getting points when your down there and if you can make it a 2 score game with 3 I'm all for it. The 4th and 5? Maybe the thinking was the game could be ended if picked up. Compared to the 1st one so the risk vs reward wasn't there. But what I don't like is calling the timeout and then going. Very head scratching and it took away any doubt of if we would actually go or not. Then the play itself was poor. Perhaps it was well covered and the check down was Burrows decision but we need to stress to Burrow to just put it up in that situation. Put the stress on them not to get a PI. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: WTF is happening on 4th downs? - NUGDUKWE - 11-06-2023, 11:11 AM
RE: WTF is happening on 4th downs? - Nepa - 11-06-2023, 04:24 PM
RE: WTF is happening on 4th downs? - CJD - 11-07-2023, 10:07 AM