Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Libs eating Libs over Biden stance in Israel
(11-06-2023, 02:02 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Some interesting positions here.  I have a few follow ups.  I see Trump "weakening" NATO raised a lot.  I don't know if that's necessarily the case.  I'm sure both of you could provide specific examples of this, but I also recall him castigating NATO members for not living up to the agreed upon defense budgets (Germany especially).  I do recall him warning Europe about Putin and his using his gas and heating oil supplies to hold them hostage..  Are you both referring to his being abrasive and turning our allies off because of that?  Because while I will certainly acknowledge that being the case my response to it is, where are they gonna go?  Is the POTUS being an ass who berates you publicly enough to throw your lot in with the China axis, including Iran, Russia and North Korea?  I would think not.  Go it alone as the EU?  Good luck with that.

I think the worst case for NATO under Trump is hard feelings that dissipate a few years into a more normal presidency.  Honestly, I think getting rid of NATO is a good idea.  By that I mean abandoning the name and it's cold war implications, and expanding the alliance to include democracies like Japan and South Korea, maybe even India is they can make some guarantees.  Call it something else, keep the same structure, agreements and guarantees.  I honestly think something as simple as a name change would go some ways towards making Russia less bellicose about the alliance.

I'm thinking specifically of things like this: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/14/us/politics/nato-president-trump.html

There are ways to approach these things that don't alienate our allies. That, combined with Trump's apparent affinity for strongmen with autocratic tendencies really makes me concerned for all of that.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Libs eating Libs over Biden stance in Israel - Belsnickel - 11-06-2023, 02:35 PM