Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Libs eating Libs over Biden stance in Israel
(11-06-2023, 01:24 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I actually agree with this. I think other nations were scared of Trump and his unpredictability. If Putin invaded Ukraine while Trump was president, it would be a roll of the dice whether Trump would have just sat there and let it happen, if he would have backed Ukraine, or if he just declared war on Russia and sent in ground troops or, worse, threats of nuclear war (I don't think the US government would ever allow him to launch them though, but you never know). Or, you know, Trump could have further weakened NATO, which would have benefitted Putin and emboldened him. It's really hard to say.

Trump supporters offer this as a positive of Trump's presidency, but what they either don't realize or refuse to admit is that it cuts both ways.
Trump is extremely unpredictable internationally, which creates hesitation in our enemies, but he is also extremely unpredictable with our allies and domestically, which causes a lot of chaos in its own right. He created fluctuations in the stock market just by tweeting, after all.

Totally agree with the bolded, the flip side of the "Trump is unpredictable" argument. 

His erratic behavior has surely stoked more fear in allies than foes. 
Remember his Kim-like violent rhetoric towards NK suddenly became love letters to Kim
and two summits--enough legitimation to let Kim out of his box to be received by many other Asian nations.
--US "leadership" in reverse. Then T pulled out of the TPP and China filled the vacuum.

Pulling out from the Iran Deal damaged allies and adversaries alike. 
Two years of laborious, intense diplomacy eventually convinced China, GB, Germany, France, the EU Russia and Iran that
ALL would benefit from from this historic deal.  Then BOOM! The work of all those nations gone--with Iran in compliance!! 
France already had over a billion sunk into producing autos in Iran and prospect of expanding employment at home. PFFFT gone. 
The chance to expand internal opposition to Iranian regime also gone, as the hardliners were proven right--can't EVER trust the Great Satan,
leaving them firmly back in the saddle. Flip side of our own right, which insisted it's Iran that can never be trusted. 

China and Russia lost too, but there is a positive for them in the blow to US credibility and its negative effect on our allies.
Bad for the Iranian people and their moderates, but good for the hard line clerics and Rev. Guard. 

Now there's a war in the ME and Iran is only a few weeks from break out. 

What can allies and adversaries alike be thinking as polls show Trump ahead in swing states? 
Before the Hamas war, I'd have said China and Russia would love that, since Trump unpredictability tends to
harm US interests. Now I think the entire world outside MAGA shudders at the prospect of him back at
the helm, and backing Israel in the ME. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Libs eating Libs over Biden stance in Israel - Dill - 11-06-2023, 06:27 PM