Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Rick Santorum-Pure Democracies are no way to run a country
(11-10-2023, 07:42 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I mean that no notable conservatives have rebuked his statement kind of makes it appear they - as a party - agree with pally's assessment of the situation.

Also, given the GoP's track record of throwing a massive hissy fit every time they've lost an election (and even some that the won) and their abuse of gerrymandering, it's not a stretch to believe that they're against actual fair elections.

Look, I am on record countless times expressing my dismay over the anti-democratic, authoritarian wannabes that make up the MAGA movement. It is something I critique the GOP for on a constant basis. However, what Santorum said was not outrageous. It wasn't inaccurate and it doesn't require rebuke from anyone. Honestly, when I see people that are left-of-center calling for such things it just tells me that they are either ignorant of our system of governance and the history of democracy or they are letting their biases get the better of them in an irrational criticism of someone they ideologically oppose. Usually there is a bit of both mixed in.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rick Santorum-Pure Democracies are no way to run a country - Belsnickel - 11-10-2023, 08:43 PM