Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Does Burrow need to hit another level?
(11-13-2023, 10:35 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: That’s what I saw too. Dump offs, swing passes to a back that can’t make anyone miss. They just aren’t working when you don’t threaten down field.

That's the big issue for me. Our RBs are not playmakers. This strategy works if you have De'Von Achane at RB, but we don't.

(11-13-2023, 10:41 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: They don't take a lot of risk, especially when the game is close. I think Burrow's number one concern is limiting risk and not turning the ball over. In doing so, he tends to play on the safer side and not take as many chances down the field. 

I used to rip the coaching staff because the offense would go into lulls at time, but I honestly think thats more on Burrow than the staff.

You saw it yesterday. When the game was close, the offense went into a lull for almost 3 quarters. Then Burrow was FORCED to start throwing the ball down field and they got it moving again.

Maybe that's by design and that's the recipe they are comfortable with...idk why you wouldnt just play with urgency on every drive and try to score, though.

I agree, I think it's a Joe Burrow issue more so than a coaching issue. Some downs, it does seem like he checks his first read and, if it isn't there, he decides to check it down even before significant pressure is on him.

Maybe he knows that if the first read isn't open, then the second read likely isn't either and checking it down early is better to give his RB more time to get a few yards, I don't know, but I don't think the plays are necessarily designed that way.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does Burrow need to hit another level? - CJD - 11-13-2023, 12:05 PM