Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tee Higgins, down the road in '24?
(11-16-2023, 01:56 PM)Whatever Wrote: The math doesn't work in your Giants scenario.  They have $38 mil in cap space next year and would eat $69 mil in dead money vs a $36 mil cap savings in the form of salary.  Even if there was a QB they were in love with and they decided to dump Jones, they would put themselves in a full rebuild and wouldn't have cap space for a $22 mil APY deal for Higgins(not to mention Saquon is also set to hit UFA).  Plus, it's a terrible year to try and move a C tier starting QB like Jones with Cousins and Tannehill set to hit the market.  

I have a hard time believing Carolina will part with 33 and a 4th to sign Higgins to a monster deal when they just traded away DJ Moore.  This will be the second of three straight years where they will be short on picks and a ton of offers always come rolling in for that pick.  I really see them trading down out of that spot.  How desperate can they really be with Thielen on pace for 1000 yards?

The problem with tag and trade scenarios is you have to apply the tag before FA shakes out.  There's nothing that stops any hypothetical trade partner for Higgins from going out and getting a WR in FA.  You also don't know what else will transpire.  Will Atwell's performance with the Rams cause Cooper Kupp to become available for trade?  Will the Vikings blow it all up and try to move Jefferson after negotiations go bad?

$23 million is a lot to tie up in a player you have no desire to resign in the hopes that you can work out a trade.  For us, interior pass rush is a need.  The tag can be the difference between making a run at Chris Jones or not.  You could definitely re-up Reader with that money and then some.  You could resign Jonah and get an upgrade over Scott at S.  

Problem is, no NFL GM(or draftnik, for that matter), makes a pick assuming a guy won't live up to his draft position.  That's a big reason draft picks are so valuable.

Have to agree to disagree.

Daniel Jones can be traded for a 11mil dead cap after June 1st or they can let the rookie sit behind him a year and cut him as a post June 1st cut in 2025. His trade value mid season in 2024 could be high. This year it would have been. 

As for Carolina I believe getting a young proven NFL vet for the same pick you are going to likely use a pick on a WR even if you are giving up an extra day 3 pick is definitely worth it. I would even go so far as adding a 2025 5th rounder that could be a conditional 3rd if Tee plays 80% of the snaps has 1100 yards and 8 TDs. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tee Higgins, down the road in '24? - Synric - 11-16-2023, 02:14 PM