Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Biden now calling for Israel to pause???
(11-16-2023, 07:36 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Eh...The Arab world doesn't really like the Palestinians, this includes Hamas. They use them when it benefits them, but just see how no one is taking them in during all this. Also, Iran (and by extension Hezbollah) isn't part of the Arab world and doesn't get along with them. Hell, the recent Arab-Islamic summit was such a big deal because of Iranian involvement in being aligned with the rest of them.

Some mild disagreements, Bels: The "Arab world" isn't one thing. 

And given that so many nations in the ME have autocratic governments, one must distinguish between government and 
population.  I have followed this conflict for decades with friends in Arab states from Morocco to Qatar,  and I have never met one 
who didn't view the Israeli occupation the way American Blacks used to view Apartheid South Africa. Most view the occupation, 
rightly I think, as a remainder of European colonialism, and see US-EU-British support for Israel as a continuation of the colonial double standard,which valued European/Western lives above those in colonized lands. Dismissal of Palestinian rights registers a devaluation of  Arabs in general, and is especially grating when accompanied by affirmations of Israel's right to defend itself while appropriating
Palestinian land. 

True that probably no government--except Iran--likes Hamas. But Arab populations have a much easier time separating
various Arab political groups from one another than Americans and Europeans do. E.g., most aren't going see Hamas as like ISIS
or like their own political organizations. But many may be happy to see Israel finally dealt a serious blow, no matter who does it, 
and still want no part of Hamas. A vast majority in every Arab country will be very happy if a consequence of the current war is 
that the Abraham accords and all other rapprochement with Israel is blocked until there is a solution to the Palestinian problem.

"Taking them in" is complicated in this case.  Almost half the present population of Jordan are or were refugees. Jordan cannot handle any more, and should not. More importantly, there is a well grounded fear in Lebanon, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt that taking in a new round of refugees simply advances their dispossession. They need to remain on their home ground to hold it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biden now calling for Israel to pause??? - Dill - 11-18-2023, 02:36 AM