Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Starting AJ McCarron a Remote Possibility?
(11-17-2023, 11:09 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Is anyone besides me considering it might be advantageous to start AJ McCarron over Jake Browning based on experience?  I have nothing but mad respect for Jake but AJ has starting experience with several NFL teams and his big game record at Alabama has to count for something.  

AJ is definitely more of a gunslinger than Jake and I think his deep ball is better as well.  In my opinion AJ gives the Bengals a better chance of taking deep shots they sorely need to beat the Steelers next weekend.

Maybe it’s just a style thing with me because I prefer a quarterback who plays with a degree of reckless abandon.  Yes, I know AJ will make mistakes because he’s not the perfect technician but he plays with his heart on his sleeve.  I believe the rest of the team needs that kind of a leader right now.

I would say very remote for next game.  Browning got reps in against Ravens and he has been on active roster and saw plenty of preseason reps due to Burrow calf injury all preseason.  The man with the reps in practice and games is Browning.  

Now McCarron had practice and game reps with Bengals way back under Coach Lewis, ancient history, not with Coach Taylor and his playbook. Plus McCarron never looked that hot when he replaced injured Dalton in 2015, and could not win with a team that started 8-0 on the season under Dalton.  Fans always over rated McCarron.  

I have a question.  Who do Bengals bring in now to put on Practice Squad.  If Browning and McCarron are going to be Active Roster,  Bengals will need a 3rd QB on practice squad.  It might be very interesting to see which out of work QB is brought in. 

Browning will start against Steelers.  That does not mean he has the starting job locked up rest of season.  It could end up being McCarron as you say, if Browning plays awful.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Starting AJ McCarron a Remote Possibility? - kevin - 11-18-2023, 04:27 PM