Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
SCOTUS Blocks Florida's anti drag law
(11-19-2023, 12:39 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I am not saying this to be funny or mean at all.  Watching you descend further into the depths of cynicism over the years is honestly a bit depressing.  While I have not doubt that politics plays a hand in SCOTUS decision making, and always has, I don't think it's as far gone as you believe.  

I am not saying that the SCOTUS has gotten any better or worse on the political nature of it, just that it is what it is. I've always felt this way about the court, though. I also wouldn't say what I am is cynical, or at least I wouldn't have until I looked up the definition. LOL

In all seriousness, I am not all that cynical. My wife calls be a skeptical pragmatist. I have a lot of skepticism towards those in the highest levels of government and business. I'm a strong believer in servant leadership and, for the most part, that isn't something we see in our political leaders. Why I wouldn't say I am a cynic, though, is because I believe deeply in democratic principles. I believe in the systems as they should be and seek to change those systems for the better. A cynic would not do that. I recognize that there are those that will corrupt the system but on a whole people are good, we just need to protect our systems from those that seek power and will corrupt it. Hell, I am a high-level volunteer in an organization whose mission is to prepare young people to make moral and ethical decisions throughout their lifetimes. That being said, I never sought the role I have. I was asked to be in this position and every day I feel a high degree of imposter syndrome because I don't feel like I deserve the role. I just try to do right by those around me. It is because of that attitude that I am skeptical of those that seek out authority and wield it at the highest levels.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS Blocks Florida's anti drag law - Belsnickel - 11-19-2023, 01:19 PM