Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
SCOTUS Blocks Florida's anti drag law
(11-24-2023, 07:24 PM)pally Wrote: Aren't Superior Court judges elected in California?  If so it would be logical to assume they would generally follow the mindset of the people who vote for them.

Respectfully, judges should follow the law, not the whim of the voters.

Quote:Leonard Leo has really focused on influencing appointed federal-level and state-level judges while building up his stockpiles of believers from the college level on up.  Every judge appointed by Trump to the judiciary, for example, has been a member of Leo's Federalist Society.  Every member that DeSantis appointed to the Florida Supreme Court has his thumbprint on them.  He donates lots and lots of money to Republican officials countrywide especially those who have a say over the judiciary.

He helped influence Ohio into changing the laws making our previously non-partisan Supreme Court to one representing parties. 

The money from the Federalist Society helped to build the careers of all 6 conservative Supreme Court judges.  No one knows where he gets his money from and his records are protected by the SCOTUS Citizens United ruling.   The one where they declared corporations "people" with individual rights.

The influence this one man has is dangerous to democracy.  I'd say the same thing if he were a liberal.  Leo is the man behind the curtain behind many of the culture war instigators and laws.  No single individual should have that much say over American politics and justice...no one.  

Yeah, again I'm not familiar with this guy, so I will give this information a look.  My preference is that the law as written allows little interpretation and that judges actually follow it. I realize this does not always happen.  But it also happens in both directions.  There are recent 2A cases that have directly contradicted the ruling as clearly defined in Bruen.  And I do mean directly contradicted (interest balancing for instance).  I'm all for calling out judges who refuse to follow the law, I just wish people would do so whenever it occurs, not just when the ruling displeases them.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: SCOTUS Blocks Florida's anti drag law - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 11-24-2023, 10:55 PM