Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft position, who can we realistically draft at pick 7?
(11-27-2023, 10:44 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If we have the #7 overall pick, my #1 target is Jer'Zhan Newton. Our Dline is expensive as shit and not producing enough pass rush. Hendrickson is doing his job and Murphy is coming along, but what we really lack is an inside push. That isn't Reader's role and while Hill does get good pressure on occasion, a true game wrecker like Newton would be the X factor for this defense.

Target #2 would be Olu Fashanu/Joe Alt (depending on which is available) or, if you're concerned about the left tackle to right tackle transition (since we aren't moving Orlando Brown Jr), you got Taliese Fuaga or JC Latham, although I wonder if either would be considered a reach with a top 10 pick. At the moment, they would be considered a suboptimal pick.

This is assuming that we don't retain Williams for more than a single season (like a franchise tag). If we re-sign him, these four are off the table for me.

If those five are not available, I'd consider an edge rusher like Laiatu Latu or Jared Verse, but only if they test elite at the combine. I don't see any "generational prospects" like Myles Garrett at edge this year, so one of these guys will need to test elite to be worth this pick, especially since we already have Murphy, Hubbard and Hendrickson. We'll need to grab a second starter in the next couple off seasons, but we don't need to do it at this pick if the value isn't there.

After that, I'd start looking at skill position players like Brock Bowers or Malik Nabers. I would consider Rome Odunze, but taking a WR from Washington in the top 10...well, let's just say I have PSTD in that regard. I wouldn't select either Egbuka or Coleman at #7 though. They just don't have the production profile I look for in a top 10 pick. I know, I know...measurables. But still, drafting a guy with less than 2000 career receiving yards in 3 seasons? Yeesh.

Newton's fallen out of the Top 15 on the Consensus Big Board.  It's also a deep draft class and FA class for DT's.

Fuaga is currently the 23rd overall prospect, while Latham is 11th.  I wouldn't take either over Fashanu/Alt even with the position switch.  Latham would be my "everything has gone to shit and I can't trade down" pick.

I can't see them spending a 1st on an edge with their current investment at the position.  We need a starter at #7, not a rotation player.

No way I'd take Egbuka at 7, and I would have to see how Coleman tests to consider him.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Draft position, who can we realistically draft at pick 7? - Whatever - 11-27-2023, 11:29 AM