Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft position, who can we realistically draft at pick 7?
(11-27-2023, 11:12 AM)Whatever Wrote: Historically, we've actually been much better drafting DL around the middle of the draft than WR.  Hubbard, Lawson, Atkins, and Peko were all quality starters drafted in the 3rd or 4th round. On the other end of the spectrum, we haven't drafted a WR that earned a starting spot or even a significant role on offense later than the 2nd round since 2012(the Sanu/Jones draft).  Yoshi and Chuck Sizzle may break that streak, however.

At #7, realistic targets would be...

Olumuyiwa Fashanu, T, Penn State
Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia
Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
Joe Alt, T, Notre Dame
Rome Odunze, WR, Washington

There's several edge rushers around that spot, but I didn't list them because of us already having a 1st round pick as a rotation player going into next year.  

It's been what, like 10 years since we hit on a mid-round dlineman pick (with the exception of Hubbard who is far from elite)? Besides Atkins the dlineman that have been good that we drafted in the mid rounds have been a little above average, or sollid players.

The best dlines have elite players and that's what I would love to add if we can. Not sure if there are really any elite dlineman we can add in this draft with pick 7-11. Oline or corner makes sense to me.

We already have a top-end WR, we have no ability to re-sign another top-end WR, so I'd prefer to fill out the team with the more high level players on defense or along the oline. We can find solid-great WRs and RBs in the 2nd or later.

(11-27-2023, 01:25 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What would make anyone think that the Bengals will be drafting 7th, let alone in the top 10?  I mean, C'mon we haven't even reached the "dead cat bounce" portion of an otherwise miserable season, yet.  I predict that they'll be drafting somewhere between the 13th and 17th slots.

I think there is a chance we pick 7th, looking at the teams between us and that pick. I think the Steelers game is winnable, and possibly the Colts and Vikings games. Both the Colts and Vikings have played much more consistent ball this year, though. 

We don't have a chance against Jax next week. We don't have a chance against KC or Cleveland to end the year. 

I would give the edge to the Colts and Vikings in those matchups, and a slight edge to the Steelers as well. All three of these teams have been playing much better than we have.

I think we're looking at pick 7-11 in the draft when all is said and done.
I think we're looking at no changes to the coaching staff.
I think we're looking at no real changes to the coaching philosophy and game plan.
I think we're looking at improving through the draft.

We can win with our system. I would prefer a more balanced approach where we develop the oline and running game and reduce the risk of injuring Burrow. 
I don't think we have an elite offensive coaching staff, and it holds us back from being a team that blows out opponents like the Dolphins, Chiefs, and Niners do. But I don't see any way for us to improve our coaches other than them learning on the job, because that is how the organization opperates. 

We need to learn from the Ravens. They have built an elite defense that carries their team. They can win multiple ways via their rushing attack or throwing it, or with defense alone. 

Our winning formula is throwing the ball and creating turnovers on defense to win close games. We need to manufacture more ways to win games. 

To do that we need to develop our secondary more. Adding an elite corner in the draft would help put our unit over the top. Adding an elite dlineman to create more pressure could improve our pass rush and run defense a lot as well. Those are two positions I would target.

Also, improve our running game and pass protection by continuing to invest in the oline.

We can add more skill players but it won't do any good if we cant run and pass block at an elite level. We need to develop a balanced attack to keep defenses off balance. We need a strong line to be successful and make a deep run. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Draft position, who can we realistically draft at pick 7? - Bengalstripes9 - 11-27-2023, 02:52 PM