Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If Jake Browning Falters Again Let’s Try AJ McCarron
(11-30-2023, 10:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s time to think about the six remaining games the Bengals face.  Yes, I understand there are those among us who wish the team to tank, finish 5-12, and get some nice draft picks along with an easier schedule next season.  I have some strong disagreement with this strategy.  Believe me, the Bengals too many issues to simply be addressed in the draft.  Also, if the team tanks then Cincinnati becomes a less attractive landing spot for free agents.

The zillion pound elephant in the room is the unassailable fact that the Bengals are a dumpster fire without a healthy Joe Burrow behind center.  While I want Jake Browning to succeed it’s not going to happen.  The supporting cast around him is far too weak.  This goes for the defense too; Lou Anarumo has been outsmarted by almost every offensive coordinator the Bengals have faced this season with the baffling exception of those in the NFC West.

Zac Taylor has a far better postseason record than any other Bengals’ coach but I posit to one and all that Marvin Lewis had better overall teams.*  There was never the pressure on Carson Palmer or Andy Dalton to carry the entire team like there is on Joe Burrow — which is completely unfair to him.  Carson and Andy never had to play like superstars for the Bengals to win.  Unfortunately Joe does.

With this said I hope Zac reverses his rectocranial inversion and starts AJ McCarron if Jake Browning lays another egg in the game against Jacksonville.  Cleveland is starting Joe Flacco this week and I reluctantly give Kevin Stefanski credit for playing a veteran — even one like Flacco who is almost eligible for Medicare.  AJ McCarron has SOME NFL experience — not nearly as much as Flacco — but in my opinion AJ gives the Bengals a better chance to win than Jake.  He’s been there and the game isn’t too big for him.

*No, I don’t want Marvin back.  His ship has sailed.
Even Browning can do some damage if the offensive line does better.  With Tee back that gives the Bengals their 3 headed monster down field again.  Maybe that offensive line will find the will to run block so the running game can breath.   Maybe the Dline gets some pressure.   Jake is far from the problem at this point, that is my point.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: If Jake Browning Falters Again Let’s Try AJ McCarron - bengals1969 - 12-01-2023, 01:27 PM