Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals TE not as good as last 2 years.
(12-01-2023, 02:04 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I'm not sure if this is directed at me because I called the TE the 5th option?  If so it is kind of insulting to suggest that anyone, other than jj, doesnt know how this works.

I am NOT talking about option number in regards to pass progression during an offensive play.  That would be stupid to think we have the same order every single pass play and quite easy to defend.  Again, only jj would think this.

My reference to TE being the #5 option is in regards to Targets.

In 2021, Mixon and Perine had over 100 targets, that was more than the TEs, making the TE group the 5th most targeted.

In 2022 Hurst had the 5th most targets.

In 2023 Mixon has double the targets of Hudson and & Irv, three times the number of Sample, and almost 8 times the number of Wilcox.  This season the TE's are the 5th, 7th, 9th, 11th whatever most targeted receivers.  

The last 3 seasons the TE has the 5th most targets, thus they are referred to as the "5th option".   I would like to take credit for this reference term but it has been around for decades.

Other than jj, I am not sure how everyone doesnt know already know this?

Not you just directed generally. I see alot of the whole TE isn't apart of the offense crap.

Targets are also a poor way to say the Bengals won't use a TE because that depends on the player. A better TE would get more targets.

As for # in the route progressions because the TE is the underneath receiver they are apart of alot of primary reads so the offense won't have to change. It's easy to see where a good TE can become a major apart of the offense especially of defenses continue to play Cover 2 against Burrow. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals TE not as good as last 2 years. - Synric - 12-01-2023, 02:24 PM