Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Please Don't Waste This Season...
Andy Dalton's Stats for Games 1-8:

174 of 258 (67%) for 2,226 yards, 18 TD's, 4 INT's. 111.4 QB rating.8-0 record.

Andy Dalton's Stats for Games 9-12 (and a drive in game 13):

81 of 128 (63%) for 1,024 yards, 7 TD's, 3 INT's. 96.6 rating. 2-2 record (not counting the Steelers game)

Now, I am not at all saying that Dalton played poorly in these games. And of course the opponents are of differing levels, and the number of games is significantly different. But I'm just sharing these numbers to illustrate that the level of play, for whatever reason, has dropped since the 8-0 start. And saying Andy is hurt isn't the only reason.

In games 1-8 Dalton had a higher QB rating, completion percentage, TD to INT ratio, averaged more yards, less turnovers and didn't lose a single time.

So if your response to someone asking why our play isn't as high as it was in weeks 1-8 is that Andy is hurt then I would simply ask what exactly these you think numbers illustrate, if anything?

And this team had a defense that hadn't given 30 points one single time in weeks 1-8. Not once. And they held 5 of those 8 teams under 20. They then proceeded to give over 30 in two of the four weeks following that 8-0 start. (35 to Arizona and 33 to Pittsburgh) I'm not sure what Andy's injury has to do with that either.

I don't think trying to gauge the difference in play from weeks 1-8 vs weeks 9-15 is as simple as injury. This team played GREAT to start the year. They haven't played near as well since, with or without Andy. They did beat up on a bad Browns teams and a not great Rams team. They gutted out a win against a terrible 49'ers team. But they couldn't close against Arizona or Denver, one of which Andy was healthy and one of which it was backup vs backup, and fell short when matched against elite competition. They had an awful loss against Houston. They lost at home to the Steelers.

Basically, they haven't beaten anyone good since the 1st half of the year. They couldn't measure when matched against the postseason peers. And they've been pretty much average since their great start.

Let's hope they return to form when it counts. I'd definitely rather have the 8-0 team than 4-4 or 3-5 team that closed the year.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please Don't Waste This Season... - Wes Mantooth - 12-31-2015, 05:20 PM