Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Shotgun vs. Under Center and our effectiveness
(12-11-2023, 01:37 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Both depths allow for different looks. Going under center provides more flexibility in your run game. You can attack both sides of the line as well as the edges more effectively. In shotgun, you tend to be more limited. However, shotgun runs are typically more efficient. Mixon averages more yards per carry from shotgun than under center, converts more short yardage situations than under center etc. I chalk this up to personnel. It isn't often you see a QB in shotgun with one WR and three tight ends, for example.

The negative to helping the run game while under center is has limitations on the passing offense. QB starts closer to the LOS and it uses a fraction more bit more time getting depth away from the LOS. In playaction the QBs eyes leave his receivers and worse the DL. Typically you want a heavier personnel under center so you can chip the DL to give the QB time to drop. Everything is tigher underneath because the players are closer because again typically bigger personnel.

Shotgun can limit the run angles but it also has the most advantages for the QB. More depth, can get extra depth, better vision, usually lighter personnel groupings. Etc.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shotgun vs. Under Center and our effectiveness - Synric - 12-11-2023, 02:20 PM