Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why is Joe Mixon under appreciated?
(12-12-2023, 10:33 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: It's an article from after the Steelers game. Which I'm not sure how anyone who gets paid to write about sports talks about our run blocking efficiency after that game in particular. Do we need to get more dynamic in the future at the RB spot? I think we would all say yes. But we also need to change how we attack on offense with more of an emphasis on the run game. I know we have done better the last two but we will need to carry that into the future. We have a good one two punch going right now. I would also like to say that 75ypg has alot more to do with our team than Mixon. It's about amount of rushing attempts and more than anything amount or lack there of  usage of other backs.

Yes but 1) that is "recent" and 2) he talks about last season stats where Mixon is nearly worst in the league (like 50th/60th in eligible RBs) in most important stats. It also shows their run blocking is not bad this year. If you remember through 4 games or so last year he had the worst start of any RB ever (2.2YPC?). That has to be a few other things, the OL probably came into play. I also think Mixon doesn't tell the coaches certain plays he's not good at (like running outside the numbers). He's very good at pass catching with space. We can't cherry pick an argument with recency bias. What makes someone good - consistency. And not consistently below average lol

I hope we give Chase Brown years of under performance before we judge him, not just 1 or 2 bad plays of zero yards that Mixon will give routinely. Chase Brown gets years and he's already shown something; RBs fall off a cliff earlier in their career.

Mixon still seems to have a motivational problem too, but maybe that's more on coaching, he definitely plays better when another RB on his team is playing well. (Gio, Perine, Brown, etc).

But 1 thing Ja'marr shows you is speed kills and Mixon is not fast relatively speaking, especially to Brown. The league is small and fast now, Mixon is of the old state, even given that he's not a guarantee in short yardage scenarios.

I'd like to see our 3rd and short game numbers (how often we pass vs. rush and how often we convert short yardage scenarios w/ a run) vs the rest of the league.

Can you win a superbowl with Mixon though, yes, but the Bengals run game has held them back under Burrow IMO. Now we see what Browning can do with a real run game, is it only Chase Brown causing this (coming off IR)?The same question can be asked can you win a superbowl with Brad Robbins, I think the answer is no. A playoff team will crush that guy for 30 yard punts. Could we win a superbowl with randy bullock, no. That's the territory he's encroaching (but not there yet IMO).

If we need Mixon to get 100 rushing yards in a game to win, when is the last time he did that. Like Mahomes let his RBs win the superbowl. I don't have faith in a Mixon 100 yard game. If he gets it once recently, good for us and good for him, but that's not consistent at all and he doesn't have time left in his career for us to ever think that.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is Joe Mixon under appreciated? - reuben.ahmed - 12-13-2023, 08:21 AM