Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why is Joe Mixon under appreciated?
(12-12-2023, 02:11 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: [Image: GBKU9iVaMAAkYEY?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

This to me explains the Mixons problems. If I'm reading it correctly he has alot of carries that he isn't expected to get alot but he gets more than expected for what's there. He doesn't have elite speed so he doesn't take runs to the house and why he's not higher with actual yards over expected. His lack of elite speed does cause him to not be able to make the unblocked defender a safety per say miss very often. We all see Browns elite speed can make the unblocked defender miss and turn into a bigger gain. But Mixon does things we simply take for granted. He handles the short yardage and he handles alot of carries both of these things will bring down a ypc over time. 
There was talk of Perine being more productive but Perine didn't handle short yardage or has never been tasked with carrying the ball as much as Mixon (his 3 years didn't equal one healthy season of Mixon). If we look at the games individually we see they are essentially the same player from a production viewpoint. They both have games where they go over 4 ypc and they both have games where they fall well below 4 ypc.
I've always thought since Mixon has been here that he thrives in a certain blocking scheme while struggling in a wide zone blocking scheme. But yet we constantly try and switch him to a wide zone seemingly every year only to change out of it. We also never make the run game a priority. I don't mean just running the ball more I mean urgently try and fix the run doing more screens and playaction in an attempt to slow down defenders. Look at our offense under Browning. We put him out there attempting to run Burrows offense and it failed miserably. So we drastically change things up now granted that is the whole offense so if it fails its ugly. But we never put that same urgency to the run as it's treated as just a after thought to Burrow and the passing offense ( deservedly or not ). 
Lastly I obviously think Brown is helping the run game with his explosiveness but I'm not so sold that it's for fear of losing his job. I think it's more just freshness and not carrying the load as well as two different style runners giving defenders a different look. But it's not Mixons fault we refused to give anyone else carries earlier in the year. I think we all wanted to see someone else get some carries before this point. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is Joe Mixon under appreciated? - NUGDUKWE - 12-13-2023, 08:43 PM