Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guenther being mentioned as potential coach in Philly
(01-02-2016, 03:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think some people just don't like Paulie because he's not Zimmer. Dunlap, Nelson and Pacman are having career years. Maybe even Peko.

He really can't succeed in the eyes of some. If the D fails, it's his fault. If they succeed, it all thanks to the talent.

Not saying this is you, but when a defense plays this well, I tend to give some credit to the coach.

1st in points allowed
11th in yards allowed
6th in passer rating allowed
7th in rush yards allowed
3rd in INTs
4th in sacks

I know some people look at last year when Atkins wasn't himself, MJ wasn't here, Burfict barely played, etc. But was it really fair to judge Paulie on that? It was a transition year, his first as a DC, and he was missing the 2 most important pieces of the defense. Even in that season, the D wasn't bad really. Now it's fantastic. So I have no problem giving him some credit. Especially with so many guys having career years.
Let me start this by saying I'm not a Paulie G or Zimmer guy, I'm a play good defense guy. And honestly in the end this defense has been good with both. 

My problem with this years defense is yards allowed. Yes 11th is above average but I want to see it be better. Being first in points allowed is all fine and good but let's not kid ourselves into thinking that stat isn't helped along by penalties and miscues by opposing offenses. I have seen far too many sustained drives this season, especially in big situations. Top, elite defenses get teams off the field and make quick work doing it.  This not only helps total yards stats but also gives your offense more chances to score. 

In the end I'm pretty happy with how this defense is playing, but with the talent we have I would like to see that total yards rank closer to the top 5 in the league. 
But maybe this post is meant for another thread altogether, because it's splitting HAIRS

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Guenther being mentioned as potential coach in Philly - The Real Deal - 01-02-2016, 08:54 PM