Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guenther being mentioned as potential coach in Philly
(01-02-2016, 03:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think some people just don't like Paulie because he's not Zimmer. Dunlap, Nelson and Pacman are having career years. Maybe even Peko.

He really can't succeed in the eyes of some. If the D fails, it's his fault. If they succeed, it all thanks to the talent.

Not saying this is you, but when a defense plays this well, I tend to give some credit to the coach.

1st in points allowed
11th in yards allowed
6th in passer rating allowed
7th in rush yards allowed
3rd in INTs
4th in sacks

I know some people look at last year when Atkins wasn't himself, MJ wasn't here, Burfict barely played, etc. But was it really fair to judge Paulie on that? It was a transition year, his first as a DC, and he was missing the 2 most important pieces of the defense. Even in that season, the D wasn't bad really. Now it's fantastic. So I have no problem giving him some credit. Especially with so many guys having career years.

The reasons for the continued success for the most part has been the key pieces on defense:
1) A healthy Geno Aktins' value to the overall defense can't be overstated.
2) Adam Jones is playing CB well this year. Amazing. But the secondary in general has been pretty consistent over the recent years.
3) Carlos Dunlap is finally playing to the level his natural ability allows him to play.
4) George Iloka needs to be re-signed.
5) Vontaze Burfict is a "stallion" at LB. I will take the good with the bad from him every time.

I would argue everyone else is either too raw, too old or just a "guy".

Michael Johnson, Domata Peko, Reggie Nelson are all "guys" who only pad stats as "mop up duty". It would be a mistake to sign those guys long term.

The rest of the defense, I am willing to give the Bengals the benefit of the doubt.

The point is due to the talent, Mike Zimmer and Paulie G were going to have good to great defenses. There is just too much talent and leadership in the right locations on the defense.

But I totally give Zimmer and Paulie credit for not coaching the talent down. There is such a thing as "negative coaching" see Chip Kelly 2015...
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Guenther being mentioned as potential coach in Philly - TexasorBusted - 01-02-2016, 09:47 PM