Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Rudy Guiliani defamation cost him $148 million
(12-21-2023, 03:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: And a large number of people were not surprised too because they could follow the entire thing live. And that's one case.  Sarah Palin lost hers.

The vast majority we hear about our celebrities and they tend to sue the media and usually get a settlement.  Not always, but usually.

In fact this article says:

It even mentions the famous Jerry Falwell defamation case he lost.

I literally said in my post that my issue is with the dollar amount, not the verdict.

Quote:So if can't speak to the evidence why have an issue with the verdict that came from people who heard all the evidence?

Honest question, did you actually read my post before responding?  Because I directly addressed this.

Quote:I didn't say you did.

No, what you said was this;

"And, again, because he was lying about election integrity I'd say the case was of a little more importance and worthy of being tried."

Hence my response.

Quote:So that doesn't happen?  It's a risk.  Innocent people have gone to jail because they didn't take a plea deal from a prosecutor who believed they had a weak case but won anyway.  That's why we have an appeal process too.

Does it happen, I'm sure it has.  Should it happen?  Absolutely not.  

Quote:It's not punishing anyone, its the way the system works.

This statement is profoundly inaccurate.  This is the exact opposite of the way the system is supposed to work.  Demanding a fair trial instead of taking a plea should in now way impact the final verdict or sentence/judgment.  Again, this is the 100% in direct contradiction to our system of justice.

Quote:Your comparisons are fine, but each case is separate.  Again, without knowing all the evidence we don't know how the number was reached.

And, again IMHO, because this was about elections and their integrity I believe it was treated a little more seriously.

We all know he probably won't pay a red cent.  Rich people seldom do.  They work the system (see his filing for bankruptcy above) and appeal until they die I guess...lol...so this entire discussion will be moot.

Yes, each case is separate.  But a rational adult can rather easily come to the conclusion that having someone lie about you, even if said lies resulted in profound discomfort and stress to you, is in no way shape or form comparable to taking your life or the life of a loved one.  Or are you arguing otherwise?

Quote:"Don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time."  In this case "If you don't want to pay be careful what you say."

No one is arguing otherwise.  What is being argued is the obscene dollar value in the judgment.  Honestly, the only way I can conceive of anyone seeing that amount and not going WTF is that you personally hate Rudy and delight in his punishment.  While vindictiveness is hardly an uncommon human reaction it's rarely a logical one.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rudy Guiliani defamation cost him $148 million - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 12-21-2023, 04:10 PM