Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Big, BIG Balls!!!
(12-22-2023, 11:59 AM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Against Pitt and Minnesota they appeared to be asking him to do more of what Burrow does which is just drop back and read the play and go. Which he struggles to read the safeties so he can make bad reads if the safeties change looks after the snap. So he missed more throws in those two games that I saw, Chase for instance had 2 hand up I'm open touchdowns that he missed one of those was from the Minnesota 20 yd line on the very 1st drive. I believe it was on his pick they either showed cover 2 or switched to it meaning middle of the field open. Browning didn't see it and threw it to the boundary for a pick meanwhile Higgins was running literally all alone across the middle. Maybe the game is a bit fast for him right now or maybe he's just trying to get to a safe throw as fast as possible but he is missing either big plays or where the ball should go based on coverage. Goodberrys Bengals on the Brain is an excellent breakdown that you can find on Twitter or youtube.

Minnesota did play middle field open, but that is really referring to just the safety alignment. Middle field closed is a single safety back playing deep, typically starting in the middle of the field. Middle field open means you have a split safety look so there is a gap between them. It doesn't literally mean that the middle of the field is open. Traditionally you will see hook defenders capturing that short/intermediate middle. 

Minnesota played risky ball and blitzed a defender out of their zone and didn't replace them, which left a void where Higgins was. You don't often see teams blitz out of zone due to this issue. They may send a guy and then drop an edge player into a replacement zone so they are still only rushing four. This is called a simulated pressure. So, on this play, Minnesota rushed five and voided a zone which left Higgins open on the backside. 

For Browning, he is doing a high-low read. It's a smash concept with Hudson going into the flat (low) and Irv running a corner (high). The idea is to put their outside defender under pressure by making him choose where to go. He ended up playing a little deep and I think he was a cloud defender, but that is who Browning is reading. If that defender runs up to the flat, you throw the corner. If he follows the corner deep, you throw the flat. Easy stuff. The defender took a false step towards the flat and Browning threw the corner but it was just a mistake all around. Even if he had crashed down on the flat I think Harrison picks it off. He should have thrown the flat or if he wanted to continue his progression he could have made his way back to Tee, but he was on the backside and not the primary read. 

I'm not saying you're wrong, for clarity. Just providing more color. He could have picked up on Minnesota sending five and checked the backside for Higgins, but this is exactly what Minnesota does to QBs, especially inexperienced ones. They are incredibly aggressive, the most aggressive in the league and they are fine taking those risks to get a guy turned around. It was set up to be a really tough game for him. He came alive late, though. 
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
Big, BIG Balls!!! - Science Friction - 12-22-2023, 02:10 AM
RE: Big, BIG Balls!!! - Bengalholic - 12-22-2023, 02:18 AM
RE: Big, BIG Balls!!! - SladeX - 12-22-2023, 08:12 AM
RE: Big, BIG Balls!!! - XenoMorph - 12-22-2023, 08:37 AM
RE: Big, BIG Balls!!! - Sled21 - 12-22-2023, 09:08 AM
RE: Big, BIG Balls!!! - reuben.ahmed - 12-22-2023, 09:26 AM
RE: Big, BIG Balls!!! - NUGDUKWE - 12-22-2023, 10:42 AM
RE: Big, BIG Balls!!! - sandwedge - 12-22-2023, 11:48 AM
RE: Big, BIG Balls!!! - NUGDUKWE - 12-22-2023, 11:59 AM
RE: Big, BIG Balls!!! - KillerGoose - 12-22-2023, 01:12 PM