Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the best football you’ve seen play?
Gonna throw some out here. College first. I have four I wanna mention.

The first is Barry Sanders for Oklahoma State during his Heisman season. He set 34 NCAA records that year. Rushed for 2,628 yards (11 games), averaged 238.9 rushing yards per game. 37 rushing TDs. A punt return and kickoff return TD. 3,250 all-purpose yards. 8.3 yards per play. In 11 games. Throw in 222 more rushing yards and 5 TDs in the Bowl game, and you have 2,850 rushing yards and 42 rushing TDs in 12 games. Plus 2 return TDs.

Everyone knew what was coming. No one could stop it. 215 & 2 TDs vs Iklahoma & 189 & 4 TDs vs Nebraska. 4 300 yard games. TDs: at least 2 TDs every game: 3 with 3, 4 with 4, and 3 with 5.

https://www.heisman.com/heisman-winners/barry-sanders/

For a single game? I can remember watching Ndamukong Suh absolutely dominate a game from NT vs Texas in the Big 12 title game (4.5 sacks, 7 tackles for loss, 12 tackles). Never seen anything like it.

Walter Payton's game breaking the single game NFL rushing mark (later broken by Corey Dillon) gets mention here. 275 yards is great, but the first half is instructive. The Bears QB threw ONE first half pass (6 yd completion to Payton). Every other play was a Payton rush. Every, other, play. 16 carries, 144 yards and one TD. Oh, Payton played with a 101 degree fever and severe flu symptoms.

Last but not least, for in-person, I will go with watching Eddie George win the Heisman vs Illinois in 1995. The Illini had beaten OSU frequently under Cooper (6 of last 7, I think) and boasted a ferocious defense with future NFL stars Simeon Rice & Kevin Hardy. It was a cold, wintery rain all game. Throwing was gonna be problematic. Terry Glenn (OSU's best receiver) was injured and out.

George ran for 286 yards and 2 TDs (thru 3 quarters) and added 4 rec for 32 and a TD. Finished 36 for 316. Crowd chanting Eddie! Eddie! Eddie! It was amazing.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Who is the best football you’ve seen play? - Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 - 12-23-2023, 12:53 PM