Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds in trade talks for Bieber/Glasnow
I'm souring on the idea of giving up what these teams are asking for good starters. Cease is the only one I really like and he's going to demand a Castillo type haul anyway.

No Reds fan wants to hear it, but maybe they wait and see what the in-house young guys can do. Rather than trading away guys like Phillips, Lowder, or Petty, perhaps just continue to cultivate and wait for a MLB glut of quality starters to arrive, maybe as soon as 2025. They already have a lot of young arms. Possible a glut if there's some miracle and the guys get to camp in good health. They have Greene, Abbott, Ashcraft, Lodolo, possibly Martinez, Williamson, and maybe even Phillips up for 5 rotation spots. Those are all potentially quality guys. What they lack is the frontline starter. Does the cost of that kind of player become justified? Does it win the Reds a division? A NL title? A WS? If yes then absolutely make the move. I have doubts.

I think you stick with the process and cultivate. There's no more powerful asset in MLB than young, controlled pitching that's been developed in-house. I'd keep as much of it if I can, then trade pieces away if needed.

The Reds still have a pretty paltry payroll. They could still make a couple of shrewd signings to build around the young core. I'd still love to see a good LH reliever and a RH outfielder (platoon bat) brought in. Do those things, maybe get an inning eating SP for the middle rotation, then see where it goes.

If you still think a TOR starter moves the needle and the team is rolling at the break, then you re-visit making a deal for one.

The prospect capital is obviously coveted and legit. Maybe take heed from that fact and hold onto assets before plugging into another 2 year window followed buy a sell-off then re-tool in the minors. Sustain. Don't blink. If the kids are all as good as people think, this team could become really good for a long time.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reds in trade talks for Bieber/Glasnow - samhain - 12-26-2023, 12:25 PM