Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Draft seems rich with quality OT's and WR's
(12-27-2023, 03:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: If the issue was teams overvaluing traits and athletic profiles, then we'd be seeing more and more  mid-late round picks blooming into quality starters.  That hasn't been the pattern with OT's.  

Look at Jonah Williams as an example.  Blue collar lunch pail type coming out of college with a great work ethic and technique.  He can hold his own against mediocre -bad edge rushers.  Whenever he goes up against Myles Garrett or TJ Watt, he gets clubbed like a baby seal.  He's just too outmatched from a physical standpoint.  

If you target kids from traditional drop back offenses, you really limit your talent pool and most of the top recruits don't go to those schools, anyways.  

Jonah Williams is kind of an exception as his inadequacies versus elite level edge rushers was somewhat masked while he was in college, due to playing on some supremely loaded teams at Alabama.  Those Bama teams in that era dropped back and threw when they wanted to, not because they were forced to pass because the ground game was ineffective.

However, I can list you two prime examples of Tackles drafted based on traits and athletic profiles, right here with the Bengals.  Cedric Ogbuehi and Jake Fisher.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Draft seems rich with quality OT's and WR's - SunsetBengal - 12-27-2023, 04:18 PM