Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nikki Haley-What was the cause of the Civil War
(12-28-2023, 12:20 PM)hollodero Wrote: Oh just to clarify, of course slavery and all the issues around it was a quite important reason. I do not put that in question. It's just, when you say that question requires a one word answer, I can not really feel on board with that. Imho, that feels like oversimplifying the issue for moral conveniency. I'd argue a historian would not be quite satified with said one word answer.

I disagree. Historians would be happy with "slavery" being the one word answer for the majority of the population. Sure, you'd probably want to see 5-15% saying something more detailed, but if you got into it they would just criticize your analysis. The main thing, though, is that any reputable historian would tell you that if you gave an answer to the question asked in the OP that did not mention slavery, then you were just wrong. Your answer doesn't have to be one word, but that one word should be in there and not in a way to dismiss it as a cause.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nikki Haley-What was the cause of the Civil War - Belsnickel - 12-28-2023, 05:50 PM