Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lou speaks on the state of the defense
(12-29-2023, 08:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Which would put him in the top 40% of all contracts.  However, in order to retain him, it would require a deal that would certainly put him in the top 5% of contracts, which is fine as anyone who is among the best at their job should have their compensation reflect as such. Remember back that this discussion spun off of another post where it was suggested to let players walk and just draft new ones.

What I was proposing is for the league to put a cap on position pay as a percentage of a team's cap.  For example, limit QB contracts to a max of 15% of a team's yearly cap, make positional players 10% max, etc. (I don't know if those values are fair, but just numbers for discussion)  Because as it is now, teams face the real possibility of having nearly half of a team's cap invested in as little as two players.  Is it really fair to have two players consuming half of a number that is supposed to cover 53?  

It wouldn't. Higgins isn't a veteran contractually speaking, he's still on a rookie contract. 

I've never said the Bengals should keep Higgins, but I am railing against the idea that we have a ton of expensive offensive guys, and really not agreeing with the idea that we strip cap space away from the offense and send it to the defense. We have a franchise QB who needs to continue to be supported, any money saved from moving on from Jonah, Boyd, etc, needs to be put back into the offense. We need 2 OL, 1 veteran WR (a Boyd/Juju level guy), 1 rookie WR, at LEAST 1 TE, 1-2 RBs. You can't just get all of that in the draft, and even if you could you can't just saddle Burrow with a 1/2 rookie offense. It would be and offense of Burrow, Chase, 3 OL, and a bunch of schmucks.

- - - - - -

Great QBs taking a huge chunk of the salary cap is a giant competitive balance that shoudn't be removed. It's not helping us now with Burrow being the highest paid, but there are simply not enough good QBs for every NFL team so that huge salary cap savings is one of the few things that let teams potentially stay competitive if they don't have a great QB.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lou speaks on the state of the defense - TheLeonardLeap - 12-29-2023, 08:10 PM