Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browns resting starters, should we do the same?
(01-03-2024, 05:14 PM)casear2727 Wrote: This could drop us 5-6 slots in the draft, every round.  How in the world is this one beyond meaningless game more important than the team's roster the next FOUR YEARS?

I get the players and coaches want to win, but as a fan since the 70's; it is extremely shallow to me to lose out on better players in order to be happy that we have bragging rights over Jeff Driskell and the Browns 3rd stringers.  Come Monday all any one will care about is free agency and the draft.

There are years the Bengals would have done better selecting later each round, because they sure messed up the picks they did have. 

We're not talking picks 1-5. We are talking in the teens, and 40's, and 70s. There is so many ways to go with these later picks. And look at this board around draft time. They are rooting for certain players as the draft pick becomes closer and closer, and then upset because they didn't select the ones they wanted. I suppose those prioritizing the draft will be complaining if the Bengals draft lower and they figure they lost out on some player they wanted and we'll hear endless complaints that they could have had this or that player. Yet, each draft posters end up complaining because the playera they really wanted were not selected. And sometimes the posters were right.

I mean the Bengals used a 6th pick on David Klinger and let Troy Vincent pass. They picked Akili Smith 3rd when they could have had Edgerin James or Champ Bailey had they been stuck with a later pick. They grabbed John Ross and let Mahomes pass. Bill Price, and so many OL picks, etc. etc. Picking a few slots earlier does not in any way meaning they are going to have greater success the next four years, unless we are talking the very top of the draft.

Fans prioritize the draft too much during the season. For goodness sakes, there were fans who starting rooting for losses, including to the Steelers (!), when there were still seven games left to go in the season and the Bengals still had a shot at the playoffs. And now they're rooting for the Bengals to lose to the Browns?  Really? Rooting for the Bengals to lose to the Steelers and the Browns in order to get a higher draft pick in the teens should be immediately disqualifying to get into this Board's Hall of Fame.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Browns resting starters, should we do the same? - Nepa - 01-03-2024, 05:33 PM