Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We have kind of sucked at drafting lately...
2020 was a truly elite draft. Nearly every single pick contributed, with 5 of the 7 picks making it all the way through their rookie contract and 2 of them re-signed (with the other 3 likely to be re-signed as well).

2021 was rough, but we got two elite starters out of it. This honestly may be the draft that hurts us most in the next two years. So many picks, and so many misses. Especially early in the draft (2nd round pick, 3rd round pick and 3 4th round picks all miss to some degree.)

2022 has produced 3 starters, 2 back ups and 1 miss. It was a low volume draft at the end of each round, but they still got half their current secondary out of it. I expect this class to improve as time goes on.

2023 we got a promising pass rusher, the other 2 starters in the secondary and some exciting tools for the offense. It's way too early to judge this draft class, but I could see every single pick making the 2024 roster again (unfortunately for us in the case of Robbins but I doubt they cut bait on him after a single season). With a pick at the bottom of the round, this is a good amount of production and potential.

It's really just 2021 that is going to be painful going forward. But next year those contracts will expire, so this is the last year we'll actively suffer from that poor draft.

2024 will be a mid round draft, so we should get some good value out of that as well.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We have kind of sucked at drafting lately... - CJD - 01-09-2024, 12:58 PM