Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Ideas for a BOLD move that could set the Bengals up for Greater Success ?
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), I don't think that outside additions are the main path to fixing the defense.

The 2 main linebackers are paid and won't go anywhere in 2024. It's unlikely that they cut bait with Pratt, although I might agree that he deserves it. His effort was pathetic in 2023. They also likely won't spend major cap or early draft capital on LB after giving deals to both guys just last year. My main hope is that Logan was playing hurt, which I think is pretty likely, and will return to form in 2024.

Defensive tackle needs addressed just to get back to baseline. Reader went form being a guy we can't afford to re-sign at his age to a guy who may never be the same after a serious injury. We know he's one of the best when healthy and most on here will also say good things about Hill. They are the very same guys that this team had when the defense was winning them games and actually quite good vs the run in 21 and 22. Reader needs replaced, and depth needs improvement, but does re-vamping that position group fix the defense?

I would say it does not. Here's a truth that I hate to lay out because it's not comforting for me or any other fan of this team: The only thing that fixes this defense is a major leap forward by the young secondary in 2024. That's a tough one to read or hear, but it's a fact. DT additions only get us back to zero. We had one of the best NTs in the league for most of the year and were still getting absolutely destroyed in both phases practically weekly. Didn't matter if it was the smash mouth North, either. Houston had one of if not the worst rushing attack when they came into Paycor. They handed the ball to a journeyman running back and proceeded to make him look like Corey Dillon in his prime vs our guys. And our stud NT. And BJ Hill.

Lou runs a scheme that's tough for young guys to process if they aren't extremely football smart. Nick Scott and Dax Hill are not extremely football smart. They might be downright incapable of playing in the system successfully. Battle will be okay with more seasoning, I think. Turner made some bad decisions late and hopefully will learn from them. He showed promise early.

Scott will not start ideally, or maybe even be a Bengal. Dax is a problem. He might be the problem. He has great athleticism and has decent ball skills. He's good at the line. He just does dumb shit way too often. He's probably not a centerfielder in the vein of Bates. They should try to salvage his potential by using him correctly and finding someone that better fit the role that Bates vacated.

I'm not saying don't get a DT. You have to. I just don't think it fixes the root cause of the problem, Not without some major maturing in the defensive backfield. A good 3 tech might help if they could help generate pressure, but we'd still need a NT at that point, and that's an awful lot to ask in an offseason where we also need a RT, a TE as always, possibly a WR2, a WR3, possibly a RB, and have questions at LB and FS.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any Ideas for a BOLD move that could set the Bengals up for Greater Success ? - samhain - 01-15-2024, 11:05 AM