Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nikki Haley-What was the cause of the Civil War
(01-16-2024, 02:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: In a very broad-brush way of looking at the linear political spectrum, the further left you go the more people make up the state. So, in a libertarian utopia, there is no state. Just to the left of that we have the totalitarian autocrats. Then, as we continue shifting to the left you have pure democracy on the extreme other side which is where the people are the state. This is just one aspect of the political typologies and is oversimplified, but it helps to get this sort of understanding for this discussion.

For those seeking to wrest power in a democratic society they cannot come in and outright claim that they have the power. To shift the government to the right they need to first gain the support of the people and you have to do that by appealing to the idea that you are there for them. You have to play the populism angle. We see it in every successful attempt at this and we see this in so many unsuccessful ones, as well, not pointing any fingers or naming names or anything.

SEe, but here's the thing that confuses me is that the end state of communism has been described to me as "a stateless, moneyless, classless society." So, by that definition of communism, it would be right wing because there would be no state? Communism has always been strange to me for that reason because I agree with your general broad brush stroke as well. I would phrase it more like: the further left you go, the more equal people are in the power distribution of society. The further right you go, the more hierarchies appear (whether that be governmental, corporate, wealth based, race based, gender based, class based etc).

I do agree with your second paragraph on why left wing masquerading is so popular though. In order to get the people's votes in order to gain power, you must convince those people that you are on their side. No one would listen to a group of people who say, "It is in our interest to concentrate all the power into a single group of people, me and my friends, and we would like to rule with an iron fist over you in a society in which you have no say over how your life is governed. Please vote for me this coming Tuesday so that, by this time next year, you will no longer need to vote, as we will have abolished that right by then."
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nikki Haley-What was the cause of the Civil War - CJD - 01-16-2024, 07:57 PM