Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nikki Haley-What was the cause of the Civil War
(01-16-2024, 08:22 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A person will tend to ascribe positions that they disagree with as opposed to their ideology, left or right.  In describing the USSR as essentially right leaning you are doing exactly that.  This is not a criticism, just boiling down what I think you're getting at here.  The way I see it is as I described earlier.  The behavior of both ideologies when you reach the extremes is basically indistinguishable, the only difference is the justification for the behavior.  That's why you're having a hard time labeling the extreme left leaning USSR as left leaning, because at the end of the day they so perfectly emulate the equally extreme right leaning Nazi government.  The only difference, again, is the justification.

The USSR may have been economically left, but they weren't politically or socially left. I think this is where the confusion always lies. There is no one single right-left spectrum. It is more like one of those spider-web looking graphs where there are like five to eight different branches and each one has a rating and creates weird shapes (I just learned it is called a radar chart by Googling "spider web looking graph thing" for the record).
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nikki Haley-What was the cause of the Civil War - Belsnickel - 01-16-2024, 10:31 PM