Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nikki Haley-What was the cause of the Civil War
(01-17-2024, 11:33 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Basically, if right wing policies actually worked, I wouldn't be against them. It's just that all the evidence I've seen indicates that right wing policies are largely ineffective at best and actively harmful at worst. That is obviously a blanket statement and there may be a right wing policy that I agree with down the line, but I can't think of one off the top of my head, at the moment. At least not an economic one.

Well, we also have to remember that what we consider right and left wing is inherently subjective, even. The biggest example of this is when it comes to firearm regulation. In the US it is a partisan issue seen as the left favoring stronger gun control and the right opposing such measures. However, when you look at the policies themselves and understand the classical views, a more democratic society would favor firearms in the hands of the people and those that prefer a more centralized, strong man authority favor fewer firearms in the public. One of the most commonly repeated phrases from the more leftist folks is "under no pretext" which is attributed to Marx and Engels in an 1850 speech when they said:

Quote:Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.

As power is consolidated in the hands of a few, however, the desire to disarm the people increases. It is for this reason that gun control is, from a pure ideological perspective, one of conservatism, but that isn't how we view it in the US or in most of the western world.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Nikki Haley-What was the cause of the Civil War - Belsnickel - 01-17-2024, 11:55 AM