Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our drafting has sucked lately
(01-31-2024, 05:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I don't feel that's how that works.
If that was the case, we'd be seeing way more RBs, TEs, and NTs with 1st round grades.

It's more about value of the player at impactful positions.
NTs are not as highly valued because most don't offer much in the pass rush department at all.

Let's look at Baltimore's NT, Michael Pierce as an example.
Pierce went undrafted in 2016.
He only started 1 game as a rookie, but he played nearly 400 snaps that year, putting up 35 tackles (5 TFL) and 2 sacks.
The next year, he played 594 defensive snaps and started 13 games. He put up 49 tackles (2 TFL), 1 sack.
This past season, he played 640 defensive snaps, starting the entire season. He put up 42 tackles (2 TFL), 1 sack.
Pierce is considered one of the better NTs in the league.

Harrison Phillips is another example of contributing a lot early but not being a 1st round pick. Phillips was 3rd round with BUF and played 389 defensive snaps as a rookie.

It's definitely possible to find quick contributors at NT in the draft outside of the 1st round.

Let me turn this around though...other than Reader (who is coming off an injury btw), what other NT in FA is worth getting to fill that NT spot?
I ask because I'm ok taking a chance on a rookie after looking at the FA crop.
If Bengals want to sign Reader on a 1-year or 2-year stopgap deal as well, that's fine, but I don't think it's nearly as difficult finding a solid NT as you do.

Sure, the Ravens got Pierce as an UDFA.  And the year before, they spent a 3rd on 335 pound NT Carl Davis who they cut a year later. 

For every Pierce, there's a dozen Shelvins.  You can't RELY on getting a starting caliber player at a specific position.  Not to mention that contributing snaps in a rotation is not the same as starting. 

In FA, aside from the much debated Christian Wilkins, there's Grover Stewart from the Colts, who was 3rd in Run Stop Win Rate last season.  There's DaQuan Jones from the Bills.  There's Johnathan Hankins from the Cowboys.  There's Sheldon Rankins from the Texans.  

I am not saying absolutely don't draft a NT.  I am saying don't go into this draft having to draft a NT.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Our drafting has sucked lately - Whatever - 01-31-2024, 06:54 PM
RE: Our drafting has sucked lately - Nepa - 01-31-2024, 11:17 PM
RE: Our drafting has sucked lately - jason - 01-30-2024, 03:21 PM
RE: Our drafting has sucked lately - jason - 01-30-2024, 04:49 PM