Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals To Get Better Look At Senoir Bowl
(01-30-2024, 11:12 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I don't see much correlation in more scouts mean greater success, Cleveland has had a large scouting department, not equal much. Bengals have always put their coaches more in involved than most teams, a PB legacy
It's not as much of an issue anymore because of the internet, but scouts used to be needed to find the prospects from the smaller schools, as well as guys on teams that weren't as well known.

There are 128 D1 football schools, and that's not even considering other football leagues or foreign players.

Of all those, you want to watch as many plays from a prospect, as well as find out about their character, practice habits, worth ethic, and a bunch of other things. I realize that you don't need to do that with every player, but you want to do it with as many players as possible.

I think part of it was just Mike Brown being cheap and partly because he thought he knew better than any scout could tell him.
(01-30-2024, 11:35 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Not to mention, we have every video on prospects as all the other clubs...
But a lot of those are just highlights. You want scouts to stop in practices, interview players, and to see more plays, rather than what the coaches or players want you to see.

Even if you think you could watch all the plays on tape, that's still a lot of plays on a lot of teams to watch. 
(01-31-2024, 03:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: A favorite of mine to keep an eye on - Ben Sinnott, TE/FB Kansas St.

He's the only TE in the draft class (at least outside of Bowers) to register a PFF score of 70+ in receiving, pass blocking, and run blocking.

Here's a link on Sinnott from Day 1 observations from Senior Bowl
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/2024-senior-bowl-notes-wide-receivers-stand-out-on-day-1/ar-BB1hvULj
I do like Sinnott and I'm starting to favor him a lot because I'm bringing myself to the reality that Bowers won't be there.

Your link took me to an article about the size of scouting departments (just fyi and probably just linked the wrong tab since that's what we're discussing).

I like Sinnot up the seam and on out/corner routes where DBs will be covering Chase deep.

He was also a walk-on and only seems to be improving.
(02-01-2024, 11:57 AM)kalibengal Wrote: and it shows....they rely too much on Sr Bowl, meanwhile other teams are hitting homeruns with late picks and FAs
Does anyone have the scouting dept size  through out NFL for comparison? Im guessing most have at least 6 to 8
That's exactly what I've been saying for crippled years and I mention it above.

That's where the draft is won because, yes, it's important to hit on high round picks and free agents, but you need the players that the regular person wouldn't even consider that can come in and get the job done.

You need to sit down with guys and figure out their work ethic and how they'll improve the team.
(02-01-2024, 01:51 PM)Nepa Wrote: Continuing what was posted above, a 2019 blog noted these two points:

"Cincinnati has always been known as a team that counts its pennies and checks them twice. This is why the team doesn’t employ a traditional scouting department, per se. Instead, the team tends to lean on its coaches to make the major personnel decisions, and though the team is slowly expanding its scouting presence, evaluators have to mold their opinions to coaches, instead of vice versa."

"The Browns are unusual in that they have more scouts and scouting assistants than anyone in the NF (17 as of our count last summer)."

https://succeedinfootball.com/2019/06/04/a-look-at-modern-nfl-scouting-department-models/

It bugs me that now they're saying that we're smart because we've had some success drafting when our history is full of bad picks and busts.

ESPN ranks us 27th in drafting, and that's just since 2012!

Even if you don't draft players that end up as big names, you need a department that identifies role players from big and small schools.
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bengals To Get Better Look At Senoir Bowl - BFritz21 - 02-01-2024, 03:21 PM