Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
We Need a Better Record Against the AFC North
(02-01-2024, 09:42 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: In ‘21 & ‘22 we were 7-5 in the division. We won it 12-4 in ‘22 easily. We were 3-3 in the division. It’s a tough division. The Browns are just built differently and are the poster child for that being a bad matchup for us. They just are. Baltimore was desperate and really went all in this year. They’ve got a lot of free agents not a ton of key players but replacing them with as good unlikely. I think their depth next year will be dicey. Pitt is desperate this coming season. Arthur Smith just hired can help their rushing game. I don’t think there’s any doubt that fixing our run defense isn’t a concern. Looking back I think we go 12-5 with a fully healthy Joe. That’s 1/2 game more than our 11 w/ Vegas?

Some people seem to think there needs to be a massive overhaul to the OL/DL because of going 1-5 in the division (despite winning 8 other games).

For defense, it was basically the same DL and LBs in 2023 as it was in 2021 and 2022.
Hendrickson, Hubbard, Reader, Hill, Pratt, and Wilson.
2021 - 5th in rush yards allowed, 13th in YPC allowed
2022 - 7th in rush yards allowed, 9th in YPC allowed
2023 they were much worse, but it was basically the same guys.
If there's any spot that really changed in 2023, it was the new, young safeties though. Bell had a pretty big impact on the run game. Hill and Battle need to grow, especially against the run, but I don't think we need to push the panic button after just one bad year with brand new safeties. Heck, with Burrow down, the Bengals weren't likely going to the AFCCG/SB anyway even with a good defense.

OL has continued to be a problem though the past 3 years, despite who has been added.
I'm no expert, but from what I've seen, it's due to the players' skill set and scheme.
But we need to be realistic and understand that whether we like it or not, 4 of the 5 spots are locks for 2024.
Is a new RT going to magically make this OL a Top 10 unit against the run and/or pass protection?
I don't think so, as we still have the same coaching minus Callahan.
Maybe Pitcher though will bring some new creativity to get this limited OL more effective while masking their weaknesses.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We Need a Better Record Against the AFC North - ochocincos - 02-02-2024, 11:07 AM