Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I Don’t Understand Zac Taylor’s Thought Process
(02-03-2024, 06:56 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: The easy answer is that the problem is more complex than many of us fans like to admit. 

The issue isn't all on the offensive line. Running back is an issue, for example. The style of offense that Cincinnati runs is an issue for pass protection. Now, I understand that the buck stops somewhere eventually and Pollack may very well end up being fired, largely for his talent evaluation and how they fit into the offense. I am not going to be up in arms about this, but I will say that I don't believe that much changes if you do fire him. If the Bengals continue sending out five into routes often, Joe will continue getting sacked and hit at higher than league average. If Mixon is still the bellcow, the run game will still continue to underperform.

The Bengals offensive linemen aren't doing anything notably different than the rest of the league. Pollack has changed the run game to fit their strengths and aside from more under center looks, I think the run game is being squeezed for all it can be with Mixon as the lead guy. Could the offensive line be better? Sure, but they aren't the bottleneck IMO. The backs are. In pass pro, is it infuriating to see a rusher come free and smash Burrow? Yes, but when the defense sends six and you only have five blockers it becomes arithmetic. Or maybe you have six blockers, but the sixth blocker is one of our RBs that can't pass protect and the pick-up is missed. 

I will say it all off-season - firing Pollack is probably warranted and I'm not some staunch Pollack defender but I do believe we will be having another OL conversation next off-season unless the offense changes or a new, more dynamic RB is inserted as the lead guy. 

I agree with most of this and would note they already were starting to reshape the offense last season before we lost Burrow and after his calf was back - look at the SF game for example. They were moving to an approach with more under center and more runs (but likely still majority pass and shotgun just not so heavily) and also doing some tendency breaking. If they keep this up and get a back who actually breaks some tackles (if drafting, Blake Corum, Audric Estime and Trey Benson all fit the bill) Burrow's life will become progressively easier because the offense becomes harder for defenses to guess what is coming. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Don’t Understand Zac Taylor’s Thought Process - Joelist - 02-03-2024, 10:13 PM