Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Trump reminded Biden he secured the border without new legislation
(02-06-2024, 08:26 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: To be quite frank, even if you pulled that text out and voted on it the House would never pass it. The unfortunate reality is that the GOP is so adamant about not giving Biden a win on this topic so they can use it in the election, that they won't pass any legislation that would help him out. This isn't me saying the Democrats wouldn't do the same thing in their shoes, it's just that the GOP are the ones playing that game at this moment. They have admitted to it, after all.

(02-06-2024, 11:42 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: The Democrats won't do it because they would end up embarrassed. Either they fail to pass it because not enough of their members would vote for it as a stand-alone because they don't like it, or it passed with mostly Republican support.

This is the problem with partisan politics. They get in the way of actual governing. Both sides of the aisle are focused more on the optics and maintaining or gaining power rather than running the country.

I have to point out that these posts offer contradictory scenarios.  I don't disagree with you on partisan politics standing in the way of governance, but you basically laid the blame solely on the GOP in your first post and when Crow made an excellent counter you described a scenario in which the Dems are to blame.  I think it's more accurate to say that the margin in the House is so thin that the more extreme members, e.g. MTG, Boebert, Gaetz, AOC, Omar, Tlaib have more power than they should given their extreme positions.

All this being said, Crow's proposal is a win win for the country.  Either it shows the nation that the GOP isn't serious about securing our borders, which eliminates a huge talking point for them in an election year, or the bill passes and a much needed power to enforce immigration law is bestowed to CBP agents, making our borders safer.

Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trump reminded Biden he secured the border without new legislation - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 02-06-2024, 12:31 PM