Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
We have leader for RT in free agency....
(02-07-2024, 05:29 PM)casear2727 Wrote: I kinda agree with this for most positions, but not oline.  At least not when we are NOT getting above average production.  If Burrow is the key to everything, oline becomes the the most vital unit, IMO.  Having quality depth for injuries or just poor play would be a great thing to have.

It feels like the Bengals have a lot invested into the OL, but looking at positional spending, maybe the Bengals aren't as much as I thought.

Bengals 2024 cap spending by position rank (before FA/draft):
DL - 4th highest in the league
LB - 19th highest
DB - 27th highest
OL - 21st highest (this goes up to 19th in 2025, 14th in 2026)
TE - Tied for last
RB/FB - 11th highest
WR - 26th highest
QB - 15th highest (Burrow only $29.7 mill against the cap this year)

WR is going to jump up a lot depending on what they do with Chase (and Higgins) in the coming couple years
RB is going to likely go down after 2024 once Mixon hits FA next year.

Maybe the Bengals could (should?) worry less about high-cost positions like WR, DL, CB and put first priority on OL to start FA?
Maybe Onwenu would be considered "good enough" to spend that extra $$ to finally solidify the OL.
I don't think there's much of a shot of moving Volson out of LG though, which I know was mentioned elsewhere. After 2 years and actually seeing improvement across that time, LG feels pretty locked, to me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: We have leader for RT in free agency.... - ochocincos - 02-07-2024, 07:20 PM
Jermaine eluemunor - Jpoore - 02-10-2024, 12:21 PM