Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Great Super Bowl, Mahomes is a stud like him or not
(02-14-2024, 04:18 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: I'm starting to lose sight of what you're trying to argue, so I am going to keep this fairly short.

I put zero weight into the AAFC championships. I do put weight into the NFL championships. The Browns were a very good team once they got into the NFL. I am not disputing that. I do dispute Otto Graham being arguably the GOAT with any reasoning including his AAFC championships.

Babe Ruth's stats still count, but it was also a different game. Comparisons are kind of pointless due to how different the game is. 

Yes, the NFL started in 1920. 

Is it easier for offenses today? Yes. Is it harder to consistently win today? Absolutely. Not even close. The success that Tom Brady's teams enjoyed over 22 years is significantly more impressive than what the Otto Graham led teams did. Patrick Mahomes may be on his way to surpassing that, though. 

TL;DR - AAFC championships have no weight in an NFL discussion, Browns/Graham were all-time greats still, game is too different to make comparisons, much harder to win consistently in today's game. 

Sorry to confuse with the multiple facts that I have provided, so I will keep this fairly short.

Subtracting the 4 years of Otto with the team the NFL Commissioner stated was "the greatest team in NFL history", those were not my words but someone who knew football at the time better then you or I.

So lets give Otto 6 years of which he won 3 NFL Championships. That still makes him one of the best of all time. Since you discount the AAFC as a minor league to the NFL, sort of like the minor leagues of MLB, then Otto won as a rookie in 1950. The same as a baseball player playing in minor league ball before he is called up to play in the majors. 

My girl Caitlin Clark is about to break the record of Lynette Woodard of college basketball, however when Woodard played there were no 3 pointers. The idea of this era counts more then yesteryear is debateable. 

The Packers have 13 World Champions, Montreal of the NHL have 24 Titles even though they started with a six team league and Otto has 3 NFL Championships in 6 years and Brady has 7 in 22 years.    
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Great Super Bowl, Mahomes is a stud like him or not - BengalYankee - 02-15-2024, 04:24 PM