Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Vladimir Putin's critic jailed Russian leader Alexei Navalny reported dead
(02-16-2024, 07:49 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: If it was only aid with conditions, then sure.  But it's not, it's no aid at all.

https://www.axios.com/2024/02/15/foreign-aid-house-democrats-progressives-tensions

Why it matters: Israel has proven a consistent and often highly charged wedge in Democrats' otherwise unified front this congressional session.

What they're saying: Several members of the progressive "Squad" told Axios that they are firmly opposed the bill.

"There's no way I'm voting to send more money for war," said Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo.).

Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) said she would "vote no" on the bill.

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) cited the bill's blanket ban on funding for UNRWA, a key Palestinian refugee agency, telling Axios "a lot [of] members find that rather offensive and appalling."

Zoom out: It's not just Squad members who have misgivings Progressive Caucus Chair Pramila Jayapal told Axios, "I can't vote for aid to Israel."

Jayapal said the conditions on aid to Gaza, including restrictions on UNRWA funding, are also "troubling" and "would be a problem for me."

Rep. Greg Casar (D-Texas) said he is a "supporter of actual defensive capabilities for Israel," but "offensive operations like what's happening in Rafah [are] very hard for me."

"When you're seeing what's happening in Rafah, it's impossible for me to be able to fund something like that," said Rep. Delia Ramirez (D-Ill.).

State of play: House Republicans are refusing to hold a vote

There's some hard "no's" in there, not tied to any conditions.  So I reiterate, does that make does member supporters of Hamas?

This is why I specified "mainstream Democratic politicians." I knew there would be some extremists in there, but that isn't the majority of those criticizing the aid to Israel right now.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote

Messages In This Thread
RE: Vladimir Putin's critic jailed Russian leader Alexei Navalny reported dead - Belsnickel - 02-16-2024, 08:03 PM